Happy 2019 from Twice as Tasty! January is Sourdough Month here on the blog, and last year’s Sourdough Giveaway Experiment was so successful that I’m making it an annual event.
Everyone should have a sourdough starter in their kitchen. Homemade bread, particularly long-fermented sourdough, wins over commercially processed bread in so many categories: flavor, texture, and even health. Once you get in the habit of using your starter, it can easily become part of your kitchen routine. As a bonus, sourdough wants to be shared. A starter thrives on being fed, divided, and used, and few people will turn up their noses at a gifted loaf of homemade bread.
About My Starter
My original sourdough starter was a gift, and it’s been going strong since May 2014. It’s a 100% hydration, wheat-based starter (I feed it primarily with all-purpose flour and occasionally with a little rye or whole wheat). I use it to make all of the sourdough recipes on the blog.
Anyone who hosts or attends one of my sourdough workshops receives an active, ready-to-use jar of my starter. Last year, I also began dehydrating my starter so that I could ship it anywhere in the world. I’ll be sending out starter again all this month.
Based on last year’s experiment, I’ve made a few changes so that it will be easier for you to request and receive a package of my sourdough starter. Although I am still giving it away for free, I’ll be securely packaging the starter for you in a padded envelope. You simply pay the packaging and shipping costs using one of the methods indicated on the giveaway form.
I’ll be giving away sourdough starter all month. Here’s how you can get free sourdough starter:
- Sign up. Click here to join the 2nd Annual Sourdough Giveaway. Follow the instructions on the form to receive a packet of starter.
- Get started. Your new starter packet will come with instructions for activating it, along with other details to help you get started in caring for and using your starter.
- Share your creations. Share your successes and ask any questions in the comment section of any Twice as Tasty sourdough recipe. You can show us your creations too! If you share a photo on Instagram, tag it @twiceastastyblog and #twiceastastyblog.
The giveaway ends January 31, 2019, so be sure to sign up before the end of the month.
I’ve loaded the blog with everything you need to get started with sourdough and successfully make recipes ranging from pancakes to brioche to bread. I’ll be adding a new set of sourdough recipes this month that focus on incorporating different flours and techniques into your creations to change their flavor, lower their gluten content, and alter their texture. The new recipes will focus on making—and using—Sourdough English Muffins, Sourdough Naan, and Sourdough Rye Bread.
You can also learn all the ins and outs of baking with sourdough in a Twice as Tasty workshop. In my sourdough workshops, I come to your home and teach you and your friends how to make these tasty creations:
- Starting with Sourdough: Starter and Baking Basics: Learn to care for your starter and make Sourdough Pita.
- Grilled or Baked Sourdough Pizza: Get in the habit of keeping your starter active by grilling or baking pizzas.
To schedule your workshop, simply contact me.